FinEst Link – Project info
- The project will create comprehensive assessment of Finnish Estonian Transport Link and a plan for the future fixed link between Helsinki and Tallinn. The two-year project will examine the railway tunnel project in terms of technology, economy and competitiveness.
- The project will look and explore the required development needs of traffic between Helsinki and Tallinn in the long run and assess also alternative ways of developing transport operations and physical infrastructures in the era of digitalization of mobility.
- The project focuses in wider Finnish–Estonian perspective, European TEN-T perspective, transport technology development, environmental aspects and in changing socio-economic context of the emerging twin-city region.
- Assessment and development of the fixed link option and its’ impacts pave the way for deeper integration of regional economies, twin-city and regional co-operation, and for achieving better integration in the multimodal cross-border transport systems with significant impact on lowering the CO2 emissions.
- The project has started in September 2016 and it is partly funded by the Central Baltic Interreg Programme.
FinEst Smart Mobility
- The FinEst Smart Mobility project improves the flow of traffic from
Tallinn’s Old City Harbour to Helsinki’s Jätkäsaari harbor, in particular
the passengers’ customer experience.
- The work is conducted with various
smart mobility experiments such as “park and ride” and control of heavy
- The plans also include improvements in the connections from the harbours to Helsinki Airport and to the Tallinn ring road.
- The project has started in September 2016 and it is partly funded by the
Central Baltic Interreg Programme.
TalsinkiFix which looked
into the Fixed Link Helsinki-Tallinn and executed the pre-feasibility
Rail Baltica Growth Corridor which lobbied for Rail Baltic and looked into the accessibility of big cities in the Baltic Sea Region.