Events and materials
Study on spatial structure and transport system in Baltics - report published
During the study, stakeholders from Estonia, Latvia and Lithuania were identified, a questionnaire was developed and a survey was conducted, in which 42 representatives from 3 Baltic countries took part. The document also provides information on the current state of transport passenger flows along the route "Tallinn - Riga - Kaunas (and Vilnius)", as well as their development trends.
The study consisting of the following steps was conducted in the framework of the “Spatial structure and the transport system along Tallinn – Riga – Kaunas commuting growth corridor” report preparation:
- Identification of the stakeholders from Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania, their categorisation;
- Analysis of the documents relating to the North Sea – Baltic transport corridor development, preparation of proposals on common understanding of the corridor’ main transport nodes and connections;
- Questionnaire development;
- Identification of stakeholders’ opinions via intermodal surveys form (common for all stakeholders);
- Processing of opinions and data collected during surveys;
- Collection and analysis of data on traffic flows, passenger mobility, trends in the intensity of passenger flows along the North Sea - Baltic transport corridor;
- Preparation of conclusions.
The results obtained during the survey were processed and widely presented, both descriptively and graphically. In addition, the report presents cartographic material reflecting the most important existing and perspective nodal points for business travellers and commuters on the North Sea – Baltic corridor core network and catchment area in Estonia, Latvia, and Lithuania according to survey respondents. To get the stakeholders' common understanding of the Baltics section of North Sea – Baltic corridor all modes of transport (road, rail, air, water) were taken into account.
The study was drafted by Riga Planning Region and external experts “STS Consulting, Ltd.” within NSB CoRe project WP 3 “Commuting Growth Corridors” Group of activities 3.3 “Investigating the spatial structure and the transport system along the Tallinn – Riga – Kaunas commuting growth corridor”.